Sunday, April 05, 2009

Pendelton Selvage Rug and mystery yarn

There it is. My first ever rug woven with Pendelton Selvages. It came out quite nice or so I think.






I wove a header on both ends with carpet warp and beat it very very hard. Two inches on both sides. Then hem stithed it. Tied knots with warp ends 4 at a time to minimize bulk. Folded the headers and did a crab stitch to hold the hems down. No fringes. I do not like rugs with fringes.

Specs:
Warp: carpet warp 8/4 doubled set at 8 ends per inch. Width on the loom 24 inches, width off the loom 23 inches. Length 36 inches.
Weft : Pendelton Selvages beat very very hard. I found out that the selvages have a right and a wrong side to them. I did not realize it until I was almost done with this rug. If you lay the weft consistently you will have a fuzzy side and a not too fuzzy side. In this rug it comes and goes.
The rug weighs 2.7 lbs I had 9 lbs total. Meaning I have enough for two more rugs.
The rest of the warp will be woven with rags cut from DH's shirts.



I still have no idea what the fiber is on this yarn. I am weaving it from a draft from the Eight Shaft book called Breaks and Recesses. I quite like it. Since I don't know what the yarn is going to do when I wash it, I wove a tabby header of about 5 inches. It it washes into towel texture I will cut it and hem it, if it washes into shawl fabric texture, I will have 'protected' ends so I can twist the fringe. How is THAT for a plan?
Blogger turned the last picture on its side, I have no idea why and I could not talk it into turning it right side up. So there it is sideways....

2 comments:

fleegle said...

Great use for old shirts! The mystery yarn is lovely and so is the pattern--looks very delicate from here.

Leigh said...

Wonderful rug! I really need to try some rug weaving. And what a good idea for weft.