Friday, October 30, 2009

A Roll of Napkins



Nineteen napkins woven. The same warp I struggled with here. After I rewound it, it was perfect, no tension problems. Exception made of the of the occasional sticky thread, weaving them was a joy. I had measured 16 yds, for 20 napkins, 21 inches long each. When I rewound it, and due to the tension problems I lost about a yard or so of warp. The final count is 19 with not an inch of warp to spare. The last bit was very difficult to weave in spite of the Damask shuttle.
In the picture you can see I finished with the warp rod 6 inches from the back of the shafts and that is barely enough to get a shed on this loom.




This is my longest warp yet and I am quite happy with the way it all turned out. I am not finished by any means. Tomorrow I will cut the cloth off, sew it together in a tube to avoid twisting and into the washer they go. After that I have to run a seam at the ends of each piece and cut them apart. They will be washed dried and pressed. The hems left unfinished except for mine. Out of the 19 napkins, 5 are mine, the rest will go to the other weavers who in turn will have woven the rest of my set.

The exchange is the second week in November, I can't wait to see the rest!

I will publish draft, structure and finished product pictures later on.

3 comments:

fleegle said...

Those are beautiful! Just beautiful! They were worth the effort.

Jane said...

Wow! Talk about making use of every inch of weaving space! Beautiful job :-) I can't wait to see how everyone else did when you make the exchage!

Leigh said...

That's what I need to do, weave napkins. A napkin exchange is an excellent idea! I should present the idea to my guild sometime.