Sunday, February 21, 2010

Blue Heron



My first encounter with one of these critters was in Utah, when one day all of a sudden all the koi from the pond were gone. I think I googled something like 'my koi are missing' and Google came up with the answer: Blue Heron. That year we did not realize what was going on until each and everyone of the lovely fish were gone. The following year we still had the little ones and as they grew up, DH protected them with a pond net and that was the last we saw of the bird.

Our new house has a pond with koi in it currently in hibernation. The pond is frozen except for the opening the heater creates. This morning, as I opened the blinds, I saw the Blue Heron had moved with us! He was walking on the pond and promptly flew to the top of the shed.



I stood at the window and he would not move, they are determined beasts and he will not give up until either he gets all the fish or the pond is covered. I don't know if he was able to get to the fish this morning, he might have. He stood there for at least an hour keeping his eyes on the pond and on the window where I was looking at him. He finally left but I know it will not be long until he comes back.
If you click on the second picture, you can see how close he is to the pond.

3 comments:

fleegle said...

He's prettier than koi :)

Cheryl S. said...

Oh dear - hope you still have your koi! Reminds me of when I lived in Sandy and had a large fountain in the back - I put some goldfish in it one year, which were promptly eaten by raccoons.

joannamauselina said...

That little devil! My mother had a peacock come to live at her house once and it was a terrible nuisance.