Saturday, April 10, 2010

That Green Sweater


That Green Sweater is a lovely story that involves Elizabeth Zimmerman, a Goddaughter, a knitter, a knitting magazine, a knitter_photographer and SchoolHouse press.

When I read the story I knew I had to knit it. One of the online groups that I belong to held a Knit-Along.

The original design has a very wide sleeve which I did not care for, so I changed it.

The sweater is knit in the round steeked at the front, the collar and the sleeves.





Very interesting and unique way of knitting the sleeves from the top down.


The collar (still missing the button) I have to find one around here.........

I love the result, enjoyed the process and learned a lot! Can't get any better than that!

Yarn: Cascade 220, 5 skeins
Needles: US size 6 and 7

6 comments:

fleegle said...

It's beautiful! And you have nerve, steeking a sweater :)

Cynthia said...

Oh, lovely! Did you use the original yarn, and if so, what did you think about it?

Cheryl S. said...

It's great! I'd love to hear how you modified the sleeves, as I have the pattern and yarn for it, but I definitely won't make the original dolman sleeves.

Laritza said...

Thank you!
n the sleeves:
I just knit until I had the desired length split for the sleeves and knit 9.5 inches total sleeve opening/length. Then picked up however many stitches I got at a ratio of 3 stitches per 4 rows. The real modification was on the sleeve decreases.
1 stitch on each side every 4 rows x 10 times
Then 1 stitch on each side every 3 rows until I had the desired width. I could have probably made them a bit wider, you can decreasing the decrease ratio.

Hope this helps

Laritza who never counted how many stitches I picked up on either sleeve :)

Quilt Fabrics said...

Such an amazing sweater... It is so beautiful!

Terri said...

Laritza, You are truly an inspiration. You did a wonderful job on the Green Sweater. I will be thrilled if mine turns out half as nice.