Gebrochene is a broken twill, most of the pattern drafts found are for 12 and more shafts but there are a few that can be taken down to 8 shafts. I fell in love with the pattern during a workshop with Marjie Thompson last Fall. Here is a picture of the draft I used after modifying the original to fit the three panels I needed to weave.
As part of my practice for THE coverlet I plan to weave, I decided to make a baby blanket with three panels using the broken twill structure. This would give me opportunity to get a better feel of joins, hems, etc.
Yarn: Noho cotton 1,320 yds/lb sett at 14 epi. White for warp, pastel baby colors variegated for weft.
Width on the reed: 19 inches
Finished width: 12.75 inches (Take up: do the math)
Length woven per panel: 39 inches including one inch with 20/2 cotton to minimize hem thickness and one inch in plain weave in the pattern yarn.
Finished length per panel: 38 inches
Number of panels woven: 3
The yarn was clearly the wrong selection for this structure, the bumps in the yarn muddle the pattern and it is hard to see unless you stand to the side and in low light. With a bit of faith you can see the diamonds here:
Color: the variegated yarn pools like every other variegated yarn I have ever worked with. (Note to self: never use variegated yarn again. You KNOW you don't like it.)
I joined the panels by hand going over and under the warp threads, it was easy and the seams are barely visible...it would be better if the yarn had been one color. I washed it in the machine with 3 blue jeans so it would take all the beating possible and dried it likewise. It has shrunk to the max and it will be easy to wash in the future. I used the serger on the edges and a folded over hem with the sewing machine.
Here is a picture of the join:
One of the panels turned out about an inch longer because I changed the way I was weaving after the first panel. (Note to self: stick with what you are doing till the end, even if in the process you read about a 'better' way to beat.) I was able to match the panels enough to where only a bit of undulation can be seen as in this picture:
In conclusion: The blanket if functional, it has lovely drape and will serve well. It was not worth the effort of the complicated treadling, I could have obtained probably a better result with a more simple structure. I will still give it to intended baby (who was born a week ago). My hope is that it will become his drag blanket and serve him well for years to come.